- A potential sale of Shields Health by Walgreens could be worth over $4 billion.
- Advisers are currently measuring the level of interest for the specialty pharmacy company.
- Private equity firms and healthcare companies are expected to show interest.
- No official decision has been made on the potential sale yet.
- Walgreens made a previous investment of more than $2.3 billion in Shields in prior years.
- Specialty pharmacies like Shields handle unique medication needs often for patients with complex diseases.
The anticipated sale of Shields Health, a specialty pharmacy firm, could potentially fetch a price more than $4 billion, as per the recent reports.
Walgreens, the leading U.S. pharmacy chain, is collaborating with advisers to measure the potential interest in Shields Health. It is predicted that private equity firms along with healthcare firms might demonstrate interest.
Potential Sale Decision
Although, it’s important to clarify that no final decision on this matter has been made. Walgreens might decide to retain its ownership over Shields Health, the reports suggest. In response to this rumored sale, Walgreens has chosen to refrain from commenting.
Walgreens invested heavily in Shields previously, acquiring the remaining shares for approximately $1.37 billion in 2022. This was a significant move following its prior year’s $970 million investment to increase its ownership to 71%.
Specialty Pharmacies & Shields Health
Shields operates as a specialty pharmacy which specializes in the delivery of specialized medications. These medicines usually have unique handling, storage, and distribution guidelines, typically for patients with complex medical conditions, for instance, cancer, multiple sclerosis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Implications of this potential sale could impact the dynamics of the healthcare sector, which could consequently influence stock prices and trading for both Walgreens and potential buyers.